Wednesday, June 10, 2009

#2 - "Dallas" - Season 11, Episode 5

Okay, I must admit that I never watched this show during it's live run in primetime. Had no interest, didn't care. I was all about other things at the time, and just didn't join the bandwagon.

That being said, my partner convinced me a few years ago that watching the show from the beginning would eventually suck me in. So we've been buying the seasons as they are released (And what is up with the release schedule on these things? You can go years with nothing, and then you get two seasons released within months of each other.)

Anyway, to localize where we are, Pam Ewing was in a horrible car crash, involving an explosion and fire, at the end of Season 10. For the first several episodes of Season 11, Pam is in the hospital, swathed in mummy-like bandages, unable to speak or even move, while various characters parade through her hospital room, acting sad. There were other things going on during these initial Season 11 episodes, but it's really not important since I'm not reviewing THOSE episodes. And besides, it's "Dallas". Most of the scenes are not meant for actual story development, but rather as cues for the music director to amp up his score.

So, by the end of the episode, we learn that Pam (who can't speak or move, did I mention that?) has arranged for herself to be "kidnapped" out of the hospital. She's heading for the hills, to spare Bobby and her son from having to cast their refined eyes on someone who might not be stunningly beautiful. ("Remember me as I was", says the tear-stained letter to Bobby, written by a woman with non-functioning hands.)

What the hell? No wonder this country is in the state it's in. We have TV shows telling viewers that if they are ugly in any way, they'd best run like the wind to avoid somehow damaging the ones they love. I am not perfect, and therefore must flee.

Good gawd.

No comments:

Post a Comment